Whether you wash a few loads a week or a day, energy-efficient washers and dryers leave less impact on the planet and your budget. Don’t overlook this important feature when shopping for a new washer or dryer â€” it could save you a significant amount of money over the lifetime of your appliances.
• ENERGY STAR® Washers - Use around 12-25 gallons of water per load, compared to the 40 gallons normally used by standard machines.
• Top-Load Washers - Save as much as 10,000 gallons of water per year.
• Front-Load Washers - Spin out at much higher speeds, saving up to 12,584 gallons of water per year, and allowing shorter drying cycles to save even more money.
• Electric Dryers – Use roughly 5000 watts of energy (more than most central air conditioners). On average, drying a load a day costs roughly $150 to $200 a year.
• Gas Dryers – Higher priced, but tend to be more energy efficient, averaging about 30 cents less per load to operate.